Driving School Information
Audi Club of Southern California High Performance Driving Schools
What is an Audi Club SoCal high performance driving school?
- It’s a chance to drive your own car on a race track in a safe, fun, and supportive learning environment.
- It’s a chance to learn more about yourself and your car, and to improve your driving skills.
- It’s a chance to meet and socialize with a diverse group of friendly individuals who embrace performance driving and really enjoy Audi automobiles.
Driving your own car on a race track – away from side streets, inattentive drivers, and other distractions – is not only great fun, it is a safe and effective way to explore the capabilities of your car, while improving your driving skills at the same time.
See our upcoming driving schools on this website’s Events page.
Event registration is located at ACSC.MotorsportReg.com .
HPDE means High Performance Driver Education
An Audi Club HPDE is a driving school. It is not a race, a racing school, or practice for racing.
Driving School Requirements
- First-Timer Overview (pdf) If this is your first time at an Audi Club SoCal driving school, our informational PDF will help you know what to expect.
- ACSC HPDE Detailed Requirements v2019.08.02 (PDF – Required) Everyone must read and understand these requirements
- ACNA Safety Inspection Checklist 2019-08-31 (PDF) – Required) Each attendee’s car and personal safety gear must meet safety standards before bringing it to the track. Have your car inspected within 30 days of the event, bring the completed form with you, and turn it in the at onsite event check-in.
There will be NO car safety inspection at the event – the safety inspection form (also known as “tech inspection”) MUST be completed by a shop (or other qualified individual) in advance. The form lists MINIMUM requirements and a few recommendations, but it is your responsibility to determine if there are any additional items needing inspection on your car and your personal safety gear to ensure your own safety as well as the safety of others on track with you. Cars or safety equipment with obvious deficiencies will not be allowed to participate in the driving school.
Audi Club members may always download the latest version of the car inspection form: https://member.audiclubna.org/system/files/event_master_forms/Safety Inspection Chekclist May12020.pdf [sic] (ACNA member login is required).
Driving Evaluations & Driver Logbook
Audi Club SoCal uses the online evaluation and logbook system at DrivingEvals.com . This simple system is a huge improvement for both the club and for you over the previous paper-based evaluation system. Learn what to expect and how to use the system by reading Audi Club SoCal’s DrivingEvals Student Guide [PDF]
Convertibles, SUV, and CUV
Audi Club North America now allows many modern convertible cars and certain small sport utility vehicles (SUV) and cross-over utility vehicles (CUV) at our high performance driver education schools.
The complete requirements are in the Audi Club North America driving school policy (See Sect 2.13 & Appendix D; ACNA member login is required to view this document). Here are some highlights:
- Only SUV/CUV which are on the Audi Club North America approved list may participate in high performance driving education.
- No special track tires (DOT <=200 wear factor or non-DOT competition) may be used on your SUV/CUV.
- Open cars, or convertibles with the top down, MUST provide eye-protection and approved arm restraints for both the driver and instructor-passenger. It is the student’s responsibility to bring two sets of arm restraints to the event.
If you are considering driving one of these vehicles at an Audi Club SoCal driving school, the official Audi Club North America requirements are revised on a frequent basis. You should check the official document for updated model lists or if you have any doubts about your vehicle.
Driving School Venues
Audi Club SoCal has conducted HPDE events at the following motorsports facilities in our chapter’s territory. Click the links to see event information and learning resources.
- Spring Mountain Motor Resort & Country Club, Pahrump, Nevada
- Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, California
- Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, Desert Center, California
- Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California
If there is sufficient member interest the chapter would like to consider events at these facilities:
- The Thermal Club, Thermal, California (Palm Springs area). To do so we would need to be invited/sponsored by a Thermal Club member.
- Inde Motorsports Ranch, Willcox, Arizona (in cooperation with Arizona chapter)
Audi Club SoCal will follow additional protocols in response to concerns related to the Covid-19 flu epidemic.
- MASKS – Face coverings will be required whenever inside a building or away from your personal pit area.
- MEETINGS – Our main Driver and Instructor meetings will be online prior to the event. All drivers must attend their meeting(s), and roll will be taken.
- BRIEFINGS – Safety briefings at the event, including morning updates and post-session ‘downloads’, will be short and conducted outdoors with plenty of space for distancing between participants; masks will be required.
- INSTRUCTION – Driving Instruction is an integral part of Audi Club HPDE events. While we will not be putting instructors in driver’s cars at this time, we will be providing remote instruction in the Beginner and Intermediate run groups. Similar instruction will also be available in the Experienced and Advanced groups to the extent we have the instructor and equipment resources to do so.
The club will provide students and their instructor with radio communications. Equipment will not be shared with other drivers during an event, and we will clean equipment using aircraft cockpit disinfecting protocols between events, see Audi Club SoCal Disinfecting Protocols. This document also contains some recommendations for those participants wishing to disinfect their own equipment and car interior.
- CLASSROOM – Driving theory will be provided online for beginner drivers and is recommended and available for all other drivers. Classroom instruction at the track is not available at this time.
- MEALS – All meals and meal providers will follow meal service and distancing recommendations. Grab-and-go box lunches will allow you to eat lunch in your car or in your own pit area. Evening meals will be optional, and only provided if the venue is using protocols approved by local authorities.
- FACILITIES – Disinfecting of track facilities will be provided by the venue in accordance with their local policies and requirements.
- PPE – Participants are expected to bring their own Personal Protective Equipment, such as face covering, hand sanitizer, gloves, etc.
- CONDUCT – Please be polite to all event staff and track personnel, they are just doing their job in a difficult situation to protect the club and its members. Please honor the protocols established by us and the track. If you are unable or unwilling to do so we ask that you do not attend. Those who choose not to comply may be asked to leave the event without compensation or refund.
Safety is not negotiable
Audi Club SoCal High Performance Driving Education events are driving schools. They are not a race, a racing school, or practice for racing. All Audi Club SoCal HPDE events are conducted with a “Safety First” mindset. Please familiarize yourself with our safety culture:
- Drivers are assigned by our chief instructor to separate run groups based on their demonstrated driving experience as well as their car’s capability.
- There is no competitive passing; passing is only allowed with the permission of the car being passed and in designated passing zones.
- The club does not provide any timing or scoring.
- Lap timers visible in the car while driving are not allowed.
- There are no prizes or trophies.
- Drivers and their guests may not be under the influence of any substance which might affect safe driving whether prescribed or over-the-counter, legal or illegal, whenever performance driving is underway.
- Our HPDE events are conducted under close supervision by trained Audi Club instructors
- Our HPDE events are conducted on a closed road course to avoid the many unknown hazards found on the public streets, such as distracted drivers and opposite direction traffic.
It would, however, be misleading to pretend there are not risks present when engaging in any high speed driving activity. While the club works to minimize external risks, ultimately it is up to each individual driver to behave in a safe and mature manner.
We welcome you to join us, but we remind you that YOUR safety depends primarily on the decisions YOU make! Ultimately, Safety is Everyone’s Responsibility!
In Case of Emergency (ICE) info (Medical & Contact Info)
Audi Club North America requires our chapter to collect emergency contact information for all drivers. Ensure your MotorsportReg.com Profile (found under My Account) is complete and current, especially the Emergency Contact info in the My Information section, as this is our official source of this information.
Audi Club SoCal also recommends that you and your guests carry In Case of Emergency (ICE) medical and emergency contact information on your person when at a driving event. There are many free or subscription ICE products available.
- One example is GetIceCard.com , a free fill-and-print ICE wallet card; your medical and contact info is immediately available without the need to call or text a code. You may also carry the discontinued ACSC Medical Form, if you wish.
Motorsport Safety Foundation
Our club’s internal instructor training program is Motorsport Safety Foundation (MSF) Level II certified. Audi Club SoCal was the second organization to achieve this certification.
If you are interested in attending a MSF Level II clinic but are not an Audi Club SoCal participant, visit www.motorsport-safety.org/certified to find a commercial provider of the MSF Level II instructor training program near you. We can recommend Audi Club SoCal sponsor Hooked on Driving‘s MSF-approved instructor clinics conducted throughout their many regions.