words: Bill, photos: Nishant Pillai
If you build it, they will come. This particular RS 4 Avant build has graced the pages of quattro Magazine and people’s dreams for awhile now and guess what? It’s for sale. When Daniel Gray bought it, it was a ‘regular’ B7 S4 Avant but he wanted more. Instead of rehashing what he did, you can read about it HERE. Dan is no stranger to awesome Avant builds; he also built this one. He had his fun with the RS 4 so he sold it to move onto the next project. Enter Nish Pillai.
Nish is also no stranger to super Avants. He is one of the lucky 25 owners of a Nogaro Blue RS 6 Avant RS Tribute edition. He wrote about his journey acquiring his blue beauty on our website in his series Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes (Nogaro) Blue (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3). He was also gracious enough to let us use his Tribute as a canvas print prize in our Audi Club RS 6 Avant Sweepstakes. This RS 4 Avant was just the beginning of his super Avant itch. As mentioned before, he owns a Tribute and this summer, he bought the grandfather of these Avants, a Nogaro Blue RS2 Avant. Some people would say that he has a problem but it’s a problem many of us would like to have.
During his ownership of the RS 4, he added his own touches to make it his own and you have a chance to do the same…it’s for sale. Here’s the ad:
Well, folks, here it is: maybe the coolest car we’ve ever listed on Cars & Bids. What you see here isn’t just any ol’ B7 Audi S4 Avant, but instead an S4 Avant that’s been made into a full RS4 Avant clone – including the RS4 engine, 6-speed manual transmission, and body. The B7 RS4 Avant was never sold in North America and it’ll be a decade before these are legal to import to the U.S. – or you can just buy this one, which is an exact replica. This Avant also boasts other extensive modifications to improve the look and the driving experience, including a lightweight flywheel, Recaro seats from an RS4, and a color change to Cambridge Green Pearl. It’s impossible for me to explain just how jealous I’ll be of whoever ends up with this car.
THIS… is a 2008 Audi S4 Avant, finished in Cambridge Green Pearl with a black interior.
- This Audi is equipped with the desirable 6-speed manual transmission.
- Substantially modified, this S4 Avant is powered by a 4.2-liter V8 sourced from a B7 RS4, and bolted to a 6-speed manual transmission from a B7 RS4. Other modifications include RS4 quarter panels, RS4 Recaro wingback front and rear seats, JHM Performance R-series stage-3 clutch, 19-inch Work Emotion wheels, and much more detailed in a document found in the photo gallery.
- Factory equipment on this S4 Avant includes a Quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system, a sunroof, leather upholstery, dual-zone automatic climate control, among others listed below.
- Released for 2006, the “B7”-based S4 received an evolution of its predecessor’s 4.2-liter V8 engine and a suspension system retuned to deliver a sportier driving experience. Visual tweaks set it apart from the A4, but it retained a relatively low-key design.
- Audi sold the “B7” generation RS4 in the United States during the 2007 and 2008 model years. It was offered only as a sedan and as a convertible, and both body styles were exclusively equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission. Audi hasn’t made another RS4 available in America since.
- Power comes from a 4.2-liter “FSI” V8, rated at 420 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque. Due to the modifications, this engine makes more horsepower than stock, however, a dyno reading is not provided. Output is sent to all 4 wheels through a 6-speed manual transmission and Audi’s “Quattro” all-wheel-drive system.
A build sheet is provided in the photo gallery, and a partial list of notable equipment includes:
- Quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Audi Navigation plus
- Carbon fiber interior trim
The seller reports that the modifications to this S4 are extensive, and the full list is detailed in a document located in the photo gallery. Highlights include:
- RS4 4.2-liter V8 engine
- RS4 6-speed manual transmission
- JHM R-series stage-3 clutch, pressure plate, and lightweight flywheel
- JHM limited-slip helical gear differential and full trio short shifter and linkage
- RS4 steering rack
- JHM 2.75-inch high flow cat down-pipes
- GrouppeM carbon fiber cold air intake
- KW V3 coilovers
- Brembo GT front rotors
- JMH rear rotors
- EBC pads
- 034Motorsports Adjustable upper and lower control arms
- 19-inch Work Emotion wheels
- Color changed to Cambridge Green Pearl
- U.S.-spec RS4 widebody conversion
- German-spec Avant rear bumper
- XPEL paint protection film
- Euro-spec headlights
- Euro-spec taillights
- GTechniq ceramic coating
- Euro RS4 Recaro wingback front and rear seats
- Euro RS4 door cards
- SRP pedals
- Audi TTRS flat-bottom steering wheel with airbag
- Black Forest Industries heavy-weight shift knob
- The attached Carfax report indicates a collision resulting in reportedly “minor damage” in 2014 to the front end of the vehicle. The Carfax report also indicates a mileage discrepancy occurring in April 2021.
- The gauge cluster in this S4 was swapped from an RS4, and as a result, this car is being offered as True Mileage Unknown or TMU. The seller states that the RS4 engine and drivetrain had approximately 30,000 miles when the swap was performed; the odometer currently displays roughly 126,600 miles.
- Rock chips on hood and front bumper (pictured in the photo gallery)
- Scratches on front bumper
- Scratches on rear quarter panel
- Scratches on wheels
- Scratches on passenger front seatback
Recent Service History
Service documentation in the photo gallery indicates that the following maintenance items have been performed:
- April 2021 (126,024 miles): Oil and filter changed
- June 2020: Fuel pressor sensor replaced, ignition switch replaced
- August 2019: Starter replaced and fuel pump relay replaced
- April 2019: Horn replaced and four-wheel alignment performed, manifold carbon cleaned, transmission fluid flushed, four tires installed, battery replaced, O2 sensors replaced
Since we in the States can legally get a B7 RS 4 Avant for at least another 10 years, this is your closest bet. If you want to see more photos, head over to Nish’s Instagram page, rswgns. You will also see his Tribute and his RS2. It’s good to be Nish. In the couple of days of the RS 4 Avant being on cars & bids, the highest bid has already jumped up to $50,000. There are 6 days left for your opportunity to own, as Doug says, maybe the coolest car we’ve ever listed on Cars & Bids. You can find this 2008 Audi RS 4 Avant, aka RS Faux, HERE.