words: Bill, photos: Dan Gray via collectingcars.com
With great power comes great responsibility and the urS6 Avant can be called a great vehicle. This one I’ve seen in person and it looks as good as it does in these pics. Dan Gray is the owner of this beauty. He’s also the one who built the green B7 RS 4 Avant we featured in a past issue of quattro Magazine so you know this one is built right…awesome. Here’s the ad:
1995 AUDI S6 AVANT – 670WHP
- This 1995 Audi S6 Avant is a rare and sought-after performance estate, which boasts a significant upgrade to the powertrain.
- Under the bonnet is a turbocharged 2.2-litre five-cylinder engine, driving all four wheels through a six-speed short-shift manual gearbox. The engine has been completely rebuilt and improved, with a raft of upgrades.
- Per the dynamometer sheet shown in the gallery, peak power is now 670hp at the wheels or an estimated 800hp at the crank.
- It is thought to be one of 300 1995 S6 Avants to be imported to the US, and one of only around 20 finished in Europa Blue.
- The car has been fully restored in the vendor’s ownership, also benefiting from an extensive service history, indoor storage and limited exposure to salt-coated roads.
EQUIPMENT AND FEATURES
- This S6 Avant was specified with Europa Blue paintwork, Platinum leather upholstery and carbon fibre interior trim.
- The engine in this example was built by Jeff Gerner of Four Ring Performance, comprising a ported head, JE pistons, Pauter rods, ARP studs, larger valves, upgraded valve springs, solid lifters, a custom intercooler and radiator, and racing cams from CatCams. Its 7A valve cover has been customised by SwoopsBuilt to accommodate 2.0T coils, and it has also been drilled for better crankcase ventilation.
- As well as the 2.0T coil conversion, it features Brisk Racing plugs and custom wiring, while the fuel system comprises a Bosch OE pump, a Radium Engineering surge tank, custom fuel lines throughout, Injector Dynamics 1700cc injectors and twin Walbro 450 pumps.
- Tuned by Nick Sgambelluri of 034 Motorsports, it now features a VEMS ECU with additional pressure and temperature sensors. The modified engine now produces peak power of 670hp at the wheels or approximately 800hp at the crank.
- The exhaust is a custom three-inch stainless item with two mufflers and two resonators, also featuring a Quick Time bypass valve.
- The gearbox has been rebuilt, now featuring upgraded first and second gears, improved synchromesh, a short-shift kit and a Black Forest Industries shifter boot and gear knob.
- The car also has a desirable Apikol rear sway bar setup with upgraded Verkline bushings all round.
- Two sets of wheels will be included; a set of Sparco Terra alloys with R-compound Falken tyres for track or fast road use, and a set of Proformance Industries-refined D2 S8 Avus wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season rubber.
- Its original owner’s manuals, service book and steering wheel will be included.
- The vendor has indicated a few small dents, but these only appear to be visible under close inspection. In general, the bodywork is in very good order.
- Its Europa Blue paintwork has been professionally refreshed in places, now presenting with a small patch of rust near the driver’s side rear tailgate, and another at the base of the wheel arch.
- A few small stone chips can be seen on the front end, along with a minor scratch on the rear bumper.
- Inside, a few small creases can be seen in the original Platinum leather trim, but there is no significant wear, and the cabin is in great shape for its age.
- There is no airbag in the upgraded Nardi steering wheel, so the warning light is illuminated. This fitment also means that the automatic indicator self-cancel function does not work.
- The brake warning light is known to illuminate, but this is thought to be a circuit fault. The handbrake is also slightly sticky, and the air conditioning is currently inoperative.
- During the restoration, the drivetrain was completely replaced and rebuilt, per the description above and notes in the photo gallery.
- The vendor notes that the engine oil is changed several times per year, and that the coils, plugs, and coolant were all renewed within the last 1,000 miles of use.
- The Walbro fuel pumps are brand new with less than 500 miles on them.
This 1995 Audi S6 Avant is a remarkable example of the breed, with a raft of high-performance upgrades and a rare Europa Blue finish. While it remains cosmetically near stock, the mechanicals now deliver incredible pace, with the quality components selected not only for power but also durability. It has very well maintained by the current owner, and would now make a fantastic addition to any collection of modern classics or custom performance cars.
The description of this auction lot is, to the best of the seller’s knowledge, accurate and not misleading. Collecting Cars requests a range of detail about the lot from the seller, and performs a level of due diligence. However, bidders must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of the description, and conduct any research they feel is necessary before committing to a bid. Please see our Terms and Conditions for full details.
So with this great power, can you be responsible? Dan is a mad scientist when it comes to Audi long roofs so be prepared. In a world of super wagons, this is one of the ones that started it all and with the touches that Dan has put into this Avant, it could possibly shame present day super wagons. We eagerly await what Dan has in plan next…will it be another uber long roof? The bidding ends in 6 days and it’s already up to $15,000. To see many more photos and to bid on this beauty, you can find it HERE.