words: Bill, photos: cscott3 via Cars & Bids
Yesterday, we featured a 1988 Audi 5000CS Turbo quattro and today, it’s another large Audi…the legendary D2 Audi S8 (I will refrain from making any Ronin references). While it does not have a manual transmission, it still has a presence even after two decades. Here’s the ad:
The D2 Audi S8 is one of the coolest Audi sedans ever made, boasting handsome, subtle styling, big power, and a lovely interior. This particular S8 is finished in a classic color combination, and it features some neat modifications, like a set of 20-inch wheels, an AccuAir air suspension system, and a more modern head unit with Bluetooth connectivity. This S8 also comes with a clean, accident-free Carfax report – and it’s offered with the thrill of no reserve.
THIS… is a 2001 Audi S8, finished in Brilliant Black with a black interior.
- This S8’s odometer currently displays about 219,700 kilometers, which represents about 136,600 miles.
- The attached Carfax history report shows no accidents or mileage discrepancies in this S8’s past.
- Factory equipment includes a Quattro all-wheel drive system, a power sunroof, leather and Alcantara upholstery, power-adjustable and heated front seats, heated rear seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, and rear window sunshades.
- Modifications reported by the seller include 20-inch wheels, an AccuAir air suspension system, a Bluetooth head unit, front and rear dash cameras, and a backup camera.
- Introduced to the American market for 2001, and produced until 2003, the “D2” S8 was a sportier evolution of the first-generation A8, which featured an all-aluminum platform named Audi Space Frame. Aimed directly at AMG’s take on the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, the S8 stood out from the A8 with a more powerful V8, a lowered sport suspension system, speed-sensitive power steering, and electronic stability control.
- Power comes from a 4.2-liter V8, rated at 360 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque. Output is sent to all four wheels via a 5-speed automatic transmission and Audi’s Quattro permanent all-wheel drive system.
A build sheet is provided in the gallery, and a partial list of notable equipment includes:
- Quattro permanent all-wheel drive system
- Front fog lights
- Power sunroof
- Leather and Alcantara upholstery
- Power-adjustable and heated front seats with memory function
- Heated rear seats
- Power-adjustable steering column
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Rear sunshades
- Parking sensors
- 20-inch wheels
- AccuAir e-Level air suspension system
- Interior trim painted black
- Aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth connectivity
- Aftermarket sound system
- Front and rear dash cameras
- Backup camera
- Radar detector
- Some scratches and chips around the exterior
- Creases on seats
- Headrest motors do not work
- Broken sunroof control panel clips (sunroof operates normally)
- Wear on driver’s door panel trim
- Interior trunk release button does not work
- Car phone does not work
- A/C flap motor needs to be replaced
Recent Service History
The attached Carfax history report shows that the following services have been performed:
- June 2022 (135,971 miles): Fluids checked, engine oil and filter changed
- July 2020: A/C and heating system checked, A/C refrigerant recharged
- December 2018 (131,303 miles): Engine oil and filter changed, engine/powertrain computer/module checked, vacuum hose(s) replaced, brake fluid flushed/changed, brake fluid checked
The seller reports that the following services have been performed:
- August 2022: A/C flap motor replaced
- May 2022: Hood struts replaced
- July 2021: Tensioner replaced
- May 2021: Driver’s side rear door handle cover replaced
- Timing belt replaced and transmission rebuilt under prior ownership
Other Items Included in Sale
- 3 keys
- Owner’s manuals
- Vehicle appraisal paperwork
- Full-sized spare wheel and tire with factory storage bag
- Additional factory wheel center cap
- European license plate bracket
The seller reports that they purchased this S8 in May 2021.
- The seller reports that this S8 was repainted in factory Brilliant Black by a previous owner.
- The seller states that he will not be available to finalize the transaction in person between 12/22 and 12/30. However, he indicates that he will be available via phone and email during that time. Please contact the seller directly with any questions.
With the big wheels and air suspension, this is almost the definition of boss. Also, I’ve never noticed the Audi Space Frame (ASF) badge before; that is a really cool Easter egg. If you would like this Brilliant Black boss, the auction ends today and at the time of this writing, the highest bid is $9,500. You can find this 2001 Audi S8 on cars & bids HERE.