words: Bill, photos: George Achorn
For every single Find of the Day vehicles I’ve featured, I’ve never had a personal attachment nor even seen one in person…with the exception of this car. This car is owned by our Editor-in-Chief of quattro Magazine, George Achorn. George used to be the one of the owners of Vortex Media Group (vwvortex.com, fourtitude.com, swedespeed.com) but sold the sites in 2015. We were fortunate enough to snap him up when he came back onto the scene. As such, this allroad was one of the last project cars that George created for Fourtitude. George wasn’t (and still isn’t) into wild builds…he focused on OEM+ with an emphasis on +.
George is very meticulous in his project cars with an eye towards doing a build which can be replicated. He dives deep into the Audi parts bin and aftermarket. This allroad is a great example of that. Here’s the ad:
This allroad is the former Fourtitude.com project car. I’ve owned it since 1900 miles. Car was sold new in NJ then traded at Lexus dealer. It has always been serviced at Audi dealer (Audi Mechanicsburg) and has just had full service and state inspection.
I know pricing is high. KBB has top of market for a 2014 allroad at $22K, and my mileage is below that. My condition is not top of market nor are my options as this is not a Prestige car, but I think the rest of the build more than offsets that so that is why I have priced it where I have. I am negotiable, but this is a special car that is known in Audi circles and would cost considerably more to build. I am negotiable, but selective as I am not in a hurry to sell it off. I do want to see it go to an enthusiast who will appreciate it for what it is. I’m not looking to part this out or sell parts separately.
I began with a high-spec Premium Plus package car, including silver full body paint (pretty rare), Audi lane assist, keyless entry, etc. This is not a sport package car, so has the standard seats (don’t want to confuse as I did retrofit a 3-spoke steering wheel).
I orchestrated the build trying to make something that looked like the RS 6 Avant, with all factory equipment installed by the dealer, aftermarket parts installed by APTuning in Lebanon, PA. I have nearly all stock parts that had been removed at very low mileage with the exception of wheels/tires and will include those in the sale. The build was detailed on Fourtitude.com here: https://fourtitude.com/features/project_cars_and_builds/project-b85-allroad/project-b85-allroad-series-index/
One tab on the front bumper is damaged so it sticks out a bit more. Otherwise, it’s got some usual wear (some chips on front, small scratches on rear bumper from loading. There are no door dings, no dents. Car is a driver, so not perfect but very good at 53K miles. It’s always been garaged.
Exterior & Mechanical Modifications Include:
1. 20″ Audi S5 wheels (RS 6 design) with Michelin P4S summer tires
2. 19″ Audi RS 5 winter wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires
3. Full RS 4 Avant brake conversion, RS 5 spec in front but RS 4 Avant specific at rear. These were just serviced and replaced including rear rotors and pads at all corners. Front rotors still had space since we replaced them at one point earlier and still had life so were retained.
4. H&R Lowering Springs
5. RS 4 factory rear sway bar (installed) and RS 4 factory front sway bar (not installed).
6. APR Stage 1 ECU
7. Audi OEM Roof Bars
8. Audi Accessories rear upper roof spoiler
9. VAG-Com programming for windows down with key fob, activate lap timer function in trip computer, non-winking LED DRLs
10. Front and rear black quattro badges replace silver stock badges
Interior Modifications Include:
1. 3-spoke flat bottom S4 steering wheel with silver stitching and S-line badge with activated aluminum look shift paddles
2. RS 4 piano black instrument cluster surround
3. S4 carbon fiber interior trim
4. RS 4 silver optic MMI buttons
5. S4 red trimmed starter button
Remaining parts that go with the car beyond the winter wheels listed above include:
1. RS 4 front sway bar (never installed as I liked the way it handled with just rear
2. stock 4-spoke steering wheel and airbag
3. stock brakes
4. stock wood beltline trim and other replaced trim from dashboard.
I love this allroad. I know this allroad and how George takes care of it. I’ve logged many hundreds of miles in it and will be sad to see it leave the “Family”. I was there when he got it, there when he built it, and I’ll be there when it goes to the new owner. You will not be upset if you buy it. You can find the ad HERE on Facebook Marketplace. If you don’t have Facebook, you can reach George at [email protected]