words: Bill, photos: Cars & Bids
The Cannonball Run is not just legend or a funny movie from the 80s, it’s still running to the day. We have a story on the COVID Cannonball Run coming up in our Q4_2020 issue of quattro Magazine. That one involves an Audi S6. This Audi S8 is also a Cannonballer…it held the 2nd fastest record time of 30:43 in 2018. Here’s the ad:
Well, this isn’t your typical Audi S8. On the contrary, this is a special one for a few reasons — the biggest of which is, of course, its storied past in the Cannonball, setting the second-fastest time driving from New York to Los Angeles. That provides a nice tale to accompany this S8, not that you’ll need one: it also boasts a Lamborghini-derived V10 and some nice modifications that make it even faster than your regular S8.
THIS… is a 2008 Audi S8, finished in Ibis White with a black and silver leather interior, and currently wears an Avery Satin Black wrap.
- The attached AutoCheck vehicle history report shows no accidents.
- The seller purchased this S8 expressly for the purpose of setting a transcontinental rally record. The car was modified extensively and used in the Cannonball Run Rally and the Corsa Rally. The seller reports that this car set a second-fastest record time of 30:43 in the Cannonball Run in 2018.
- The 5.2-liter V10 engine has an APR Tune Electronics ECU and is fitted with a custom intake.
- This S8 has an extensive suite of electronics to support high-speed pursuits, including front and rear built-in radar detectors, a laser defense system, a trunk-mounted Apple Mac Mini computer, a wireless router, cellular amplifiers, multiple antennas, and more as listed below.
- Factory options on this S8 include the Premium Package (power rear sunshade, manual rear door sunshades, Advanced Key, power trunk lid, Advanced Parking System); heated steering wheel; and carbon-fiber trim. The total MSRP was $99,775.
- The “D3” Audi S8 arrived in the U.S. for 2007 and like its predecessor made extensive use of aluminum in its construction. The car made a big stir at its launch due to its Lamborghini-developed V10. To this day, it remains a darling of automotive enthusiasts as it is one of only a handful of road cars powered by a V10 engine.
- Power comes from a 5.2-liter V10, which produces 450 horsepower and 398 lb-ft of torque in stock form. Power is sent to all 4 wheels via a 6-speed automatic transmission and a Quattro all-wheel-drive system with a 60-percent rear torque bias.
- 20-inch cast-aluminum wheels
- Quattro all-wheel-drive with electronic differential lock
- Adaptive air suspension
- Premium Package
- Bi-xenon adaptive headlights
- Multi-Media Interface with retractable color screen
- Navigation system
- Voice controls
- Heated front and rear seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Power-adjustable steering column
- Front and rear parking sensors
- 12-speaker Bose surround-sound audio system
- Sirius satellite radio
- 16-way power front seats including 4-way lumbar and 4-position memory
- Power glass sunroof
- Carbon fiber inlays
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Avery Satin Black wrap with Ceramic Pro coating
- Wheels powder-coated satin black
- Red-painted calipers
- APR Tune Electronics ECU
- Custom intake tubes with K&N air filters
- Milltek Sport exhaust
- ATL SP132A 32-gallon fuel cell with 4130 Chromoly mounting assembly, float level, transfer pump, and electronic monitoring and transfer control
- Hardwired Valentine One front and rear radar detectors with concealed display
- Laser Interceptor Quad HP laser jammer
- Cobra 75WX ST CB radio with rubber duck antenna
- Austin Condor all-brand scanner antennas (2)
- Trunk-mounted Apple Mac Mini 2.5 Ghz
- Cradlepoint MBR900 3G/4G router
- 3G and 4G cellular amplifiers
- 3G and 4G Omni antennas (3)
- Firewire real-time streaming camera system (2)
- 1200-watt power inverter
- Custom car-management computer
- iPad mount
- 30-amp aux power station
- Paint bubbling on the aluminum hood near the grille.
- There are several holes in the trunk lid where antennas were mounted.
Recent Service History
In July 2020, the oil and filter were changed and the transmission was serviced including fresh fluid and a new filter and gasket.
Other Items Included in Sale
- 2 keys
- Owner’s manuals
- Window sticker
Seller’s Ownership History
The seller acquired this Audi in October 2012 and has added just over 11,000 miles since. The car is titled in the name of the seller’s company.
No matter what your take is on the Cannonball Run, it’s part of American automotive history and this Audi S8 is a part of it. While we hope the pandemic will soon be over, you could purchase this Cannonball-ready S8 and make a run for yourself. You can find this stealthy S8 and many more photos/videos HERE.