words: Bill, photos: Dr_EuroCar via Cars&Bids
Funny how I mentioned the other day how I wished our Find of the Day was a B6 Nogaro Blue S4 Avant with a manual transmission and then boom, this shows up.
This is a B6 Nogaro Blue S4 Avant with a manual transmission…pretty much the perfect Avant for me and it has a little surprise; a new engine. Here’s the ad:
The B6 S4 Avant is one of my favorite Audi models, as it combines wagon practicality with a potent V8 and Quattro all-wheel drive. This particular S4 is even cooler, though – not only because it boasts a 6-speed manual transmission, but also because of its VERY desirable Nogaro Blue exterior AND interior combination. It also touts a long list of desirable modifications, including a tune, upgraded suspension, and those cool 19-inch Bentley wheels. The seller has also provided an extensive photo gallery showing this S4 Avant from all angles, which always increases the appeal.
THIS… is a 2004 Audi S4 Avant, finished in Nogaro Blue with a Black/Nogaro Blue interior.
- This S4 is equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission.
- The attached Carfax history report shows no mileage discrepancies in this S4’s past. It also confirms that it’s been registered mostly in California and Washington from new.
- The seller reports that this S4 received a brand new replacement 4.2-liter V8 at 139,000 miles in April 2017. Photos from the engine installation can be found in the photo gallery.
- Factory equipment includes Nappa leather upholstery with Alcantara inserts, power-adjustable heated Recaro bucket seats, a navigation system, dual-zone automatic climate control, and more as listed below.
- Modifications to this S4 are extensive, and the full list is detailed below. In addition to the replacement engine, highlights include a JH Motorsports tune, BC Racing coilover suspension, 19-inch Bentley wheels, B7 RS4 interior components, and more as detailed below.
- Introduced in 2000, the second-generation A4 was built on Volkswagen Group’s “B6” platform, and it was initially offered only as a sedan. Audi released the Avant (wagon) body style in 2001, and it launched the high-performance S4 for 2003. Offered as a sedan and as a wagon, the S4 came equipped with Quattro all-wheel-drive and an all-aluminum V8.
- Power comes from a 4.2-liter V8, rated at 340 horsepower and 302 lb-ft of torque in stock form. Due to the modifications performed to this S4, it likely produces more power, but a dyno sheet was not provided to confirm. Output is directed to all four wheels through a 6-speed manual transmission and Audi’s Quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system.
A build sheet is provided in the photo gallery, and a partial list of notable equipment includes:
- 18-inch “Avus” alloy wheels
- Power-operated sunroof
- Aluminum roof rails and door mirror caps
- Power-folding door mirrors
- Nappa leather upholstery with Alcantara inserts
- Power-adjustable heated front Recaro bucket seats
- Bose sound system
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Rear cargo cover
- Cruise control
Modifications reported by the seller include:
- Brand new 4.2-liter V8 engine installed at around 139,000 miles
- JH Motorsports tune
- JH Motorsports lightweight flywheel
- ECS Tuning engine mounts
- Aftermarket exhaust
- BC Racing coilover suspension
- Hotchkis sway bars
- ECS Tuning brake lines
- 19-inch Bentley wheels (factory 18-inch wheels shod in winter tires included with the sale)
- Black front upper and lower grilles
- LED bulbs for high beams
- Yellow fog lights
- B7 RS4 pedals
- B7 RS4 steering wheel
- B7 RS4 carbon-fiber interior trim
- B7 center console and center armrest
- B7 head unit with navigation system
- B7 climate controls
- JH Motorsports short-shifter with Black Forest Industries shift knob
- LED interior light bulbs
- Alcantara headliner
- The attached Carfax report shows that this S4 was involved in an accident with another vehicle in July 2016, and reportedly “minor damage” occurred to the front right and right side of the vehicle.
- Dings, scratches, scuff marks all around (pictured in the photo gallery)
- Chip on driver-side taillight (pictured in the photo gallery)
- Scratch on driver seat’s inner side bolster
- Creases and some wear on front seats
- Scratches on center console
- Indentation on rear center armrest
- Some corrosion on underbody components
Recent Service History
The seller reports that the following services have been performed:
- 172,000 Miles: Serpentine belt and tensioner
- 171,000 Miles: Engine oil and filter changed
- March 2021: Front brake rotors and pads replaced
- November 2020: BC Racing coilover suspension installed, front suspension control arms replaced
- October 2020: Valve cover gaskets replaced
- April 2020: Starter replaced
- June 2019: Air conditioning evaporator, condenser, and compressor replaced
- March 2019: Fuel pump replaced
- October 2018 (151,000 miles): Clutch replaced, lightweight flywheel installed, transmission fluid flushed, differential fluid flushed, fuel filter replaced
- April 2017 (139,000 miles): Brand new engine installed
Photos from the engine installation in April 2017 and invoices can be found in the photo gallery. Additional service history is detailed in the attached Carfax report.
Other Items Included in Sale
- 2 keys
- Owner’s manuals
- Factory 18-inch “Avus” alloy wheels shod in winter tires
- Set of rubber floor mats
- Available parts invoices
- Various spare parts
The seller purchased this S4 in February 2017 and has added approximately 33,500 miles since.
While the chassis may have 172,500 miles on it, as mentioned before and in the ad, the V8 was replaced with a brand new one roughly 35,000 miles ago so you can pretty much stop asking if the chains were done. This combination of color, engine, interior plus 6-speed manual is the perfect storm for me. Alas, i already have 5 cars in the driveway plus 2 kids in college so I can say with confidence (though sobbing the whole time) that I will not be bidding on this Blue Heaven. Speaking of bidding, as of this writing, there are 19 bids and it is up to $23,000. There are two days left so within the week, you could have this perfect storm in your garage. You may find this 2004 Nogaro Blue S4 Avant with manual transmission along with many photos and videos HERE.