words: Bill, photos: MrJohnson via cars&bids
If nothing else, this is a beautiful C5 S6 Avant but wait til you see the surprise inside which makes it even more beautiful: it’s a 6-speed manual swap. It had me at C5 S6 Avant. Here’s the ad:
The C5 Audi S6 Avant was sold in the States for just two model years – 2002 and 2003 – and it was a rarity, as Audi didn’t give us many fast wagons back then, especially with V8 power. This particular S6 looks stunning in Atlas Gray over a silver interior, and its automatic has been swapped out for a 6-speed manual, which is a great upgrade for these cars. This S6 also touts a long list of desirable modifications like a custom engine tune, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, upgraded brakes, an Audi RS6 body kit, and awesome looking 19-inch wheels. This S6 Avant is also offered by a great seller who has provided a fantastic collection of photos, which further increases its appeal.
THIS… is a 2002 Audi S6 Avant, finished in Atlas Gray with a silver interior.
- Built with an automatic transmission, this S6 was converted to a 6-speed manual by the seller.
- According to the window sticker provided in the gallery, this S6 had an MSRP of $62,944 in 2002, equivalent to $99,267 in 2022. Factory equipment includes xenon headlights, fog lights, roof rails, Nappa leather upholstery, heated and power-adjustable front seats, heated rear seats, rear Parktronic, and more as detailed below.
- Modifications reported by the seller are extensive and include a 6-speed manual transmission swap, Milltek RS6 exhaust system, a custom engine tune, an Audi RS6 body kit, H&R Sport lowering springs, Bilstein sport shocks, 19-inch IW Automotive CSRD TF wheels, a StopTech big brake kit, and more highlighted below.
- Called “C5” internally, the second-generation A6 is one of the cars that helped Audi position itself as a credible alternative to BMW and Mercedes-Benz. It was launched for 1998 with a highly aerodynamic design, an upscale interior that reflected Audi’s upmarket ambitions, and available all-wheel-drive. The quicker, V8-powered S6 was offered in the United States exclusively as a wagon for 2002 and 2003 but never with a manual transmission. A total of 882 S6s were sold here for 2002, according to Audi’s archives.
- Power comes from a 4.2-liter V8, rated at 340 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque. Due to the modifications performed to this S6, it may produce more power, but a dyno sheet was not provided to confirm. It spins all four wheels via a 6-speed manual transmission and Audi’s permanent Quattro all-wheel-drive system.
A window sticker is provided in the photo gallery, and a partial list of notable equipment includes:
- Fog lights
- Roof rails
- Wood interior trim
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Heated and power-adjustable front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Split-folding rear seats
- Rear Parktronic
- Remote keyless locking
Nearly every part of this S6 Avant has been modified to some extent. Please refer to the document in the photo gallery for the full list of modifications. Highlights include:
- GruvenParts aluminum intake manifold linkage arms
- Catalytic converter delete with Vibrant resonators
- Milltek RS6 resonated catback exhaust system
- Custom engine tune by Stuklr
- Secondary air injection delete with 034Motorsport block-off plates
- Rear differential with 3.89 gear ratio
- B7 Audi S4 (2007) 0A3 6-speed manual transmission with B6/B7 drive shaft shields and selector rods
- JHM solid shifter, linkage and bushing upgrade with upgraded cross rod
- JHM stainless steel clutch line
- 034Motorsport street density transmission mounts with spacers
- Ringer Racing Stage 3+ cerametallic clutch by Clutchmasters
- Ringer Racing standard steel flywheel
- Stage 5 pressure plate
- Manual pedal assembly with sensors and wiring
Suspension, wheels and brakes:
- Bilstein sport shocks
- H&R Sport lowering springs
- SPC adjustable upper control arms
- 034Motorsport street density lower control arms
- 034Motorsport sway bar end links
- 15-mm front wheel spacers
- 12-mm rear wheel spacers
- 19-inch IW Automotive CSRD TF wheels in Carbon Graphite with polished lip
- Falken FK510 265/35/19 tires
- StopTech big brake kit in front with stainless steel lines
- C5 Audi RS6 full euro body kit (front bumper, side skirts, flat door blades, rear bumper, hatch spoiler, front grill)
- Clear front corner marker lights
- Morimoto Evo XR bi-xenon projector retrofit with 5000k Morimoto HID bulbs (stock D2S ballasts) and Sylvania Silverstar rainbow amber bulbs
- Oracal light smoke tinted tail lights and side marker lights
- C5 Audi RS6 steering wheel
- B7 Audi RS4 pedals
- Sportshifters GT3 weighted leather and aluminum knob with engraved shift pattern
- Custom silver Alcantara shift boot
- Carbon fiber vinyl-wrapped wood trim
- Alpine AVH2300 NEX radio with Enfig stereo no-splice connectors
- XPEL PRIME XR 15% window tint
- The attached Carfax history report shows that this A6 was involved in an accident with another motor vehicle in November 2009, and the airbags did not deploy. Another accident was reported in July 2014 on this Audi. In August 2014, the vehicle was reported as a total loss, though the current title is not branded. Please contact the seller directly with any questions.
- Rock chips and scratches on front end
- Ding in driver’s side A-pillar
- Passenger’s side mirror delaminating
- Scratches on tailgate
- Scratch on rear bumper
- Scratches on rear passenger side door and side skirt
- Scratch on roof above rear passenger side door
- Some wear and cracking in leather upholstery on driver’s seat
- Scratch on driver’s seat plastic switch cover
- Cracking in leather upholstery on passenger seat
- Indentations in leather upholstery on rear seat bottom
- Wear on steering wheel
- Scratch on glove box
Recent Service History
Service records detail most of the maintenance performed on this S6. The seller adds that recent work includes:
- March 2022: Four wheel alignment
- February 2022: Engine oil and filter changed, fuel filter changed, new Bosch alternator installed, paintless dent repair performed
- January 2022: New Bosch windshield wiper blades installed
- August 2020: Windshield replaced with factory Audi glass, radiator and second radiator replaced, new Bosch battery installed
- March 2016 (121,154 miles): Cylinder head gaskets replaced, timing belt and water pump replaced, engine oil and filter changed, spark plugs replaced, carbon cleaning performed
Other Items Included in Sale
- 3 keys
- Owner’s manuals
- Window sticker
- Factory S6 wheels with snow tires
- Factory springs
- Factory radio
- Miscellaneous parts
The seller purchased this S6 Avant in August 2020 and has added approximately 9,000 miles since.
The seller notes the hood, fenders, part of the driver’s door, and the rear end on this S6 Avant have been repainted due to accidents prior to his ownership.
This C5 is immaculate and is waiting for its next owner. The bid is up to $20,000 and the auction will end on April 20th. i believe this is worth every penny. There are hundreds of photos and a couple of videos in the auction for you to see this unique Audi and it comes with 3 keys…when’s the last time you’ve seen a used car with 3 keys? If you want to be its next owner, you can bid on this 2002 Audi S6 Avant 6-speed manual HERE.